House Destroyed by Fire (1) --.jpg

Volunteer firefighters work to keep a house fire at 35 Ellis Childress Road from spreading to a hayfield behind the home Thursday afternoon. While residents managed to get out of the house unharmed, many of the family’s pets perished.

A raging fire fully engulfed and destroyed a two-story Lincoln County home late Thursday morning, killing several of the pets belonging to the family living there.

The first call came into emergency dispatchers at 11:31 a.m., said Steve Parks, deputy director of the Lincoln County Emergency Management Agency, adding that two more calls were received. The fire occurred at the home of David and Donna Bland at 35 Ellis Childress Road near Lincoln Road in southern Lincoln County.

The fire is believed to have started in the garage. Parks said residents home at the time managed to get of the house unharmed. One of the family’s pets, a dog, made it out of the house, but the family lost four other dogs, three cats, a cockatiel, and two guinea pigs in the fire.

In addition to the home, a Nissan Frontier parked near the home was also damaged by the fire.

Fighting the fire was complicated as five oxygen tanks, as well as some ammunition, was in the home. Responding were volunteer firefighters from the Flintville, Boonshill, Vanntown, and Petersburg fire and rescue squads, as well as Doug Campbell, EMA director, and Parks.

“We did an ‘all call’,” said the deputy director, adding that 10 firefighters responded to the scene and managed to keep a hayfield behind the house from catching fire. Later, Thursday evening, the fire re-ignited. Emergency Medical Services (EMS) provided a female with oxygen until she could obtain another tank. Red Cross representatives were contacted, and the owner did have insurance.

Recommended for you