Late-night

A late-night fire Friday evening destroyed an older two-story Blanche home, but fortunately, no one was hurt.

According to Doug Campbell, EMA director, units were dispatched to 114 Blanche Road when the call came around 11 p.m. Jimmy Hillard, the owner of the property, and his wife smelled smoke, Campbell said. While the family had smoke detectors on the first floor of the house, there were none on the second floor.

When Hillard went to the second story of the home, he opened a window and the flames erupted, according to Campbell. The Hillards and their two grandchildren got out of the home safely.

Responding units were Blanche, Dellrose and Molino Fire/Rescue, but the house was a total loss.  

The couple did have homeowners insurance and will get some assistance from the Red Cross.

Recommended for you