Fire badly damages home on Poorhouse Road

Firefighters from six Lincoln County Volunteer Fire/Rescue stations respond to a huge fire on Poorhouse Road Saturday evening. Approximately 70 percent of the second floor was destroyed in the newly-remodeled home.

A huge structure fire in the southwest section of Lincoln County Saturday evening drew nearly every volunteer firefighter in the county.

The fire was believed to have originated in the flue of the home’s fireplace, officials said. Fire filled the attic and burned through the roof of the two-story, wood frame house, located at 95 Poorhouse Road in Taft.

“The house did sustain substantial damage,” said Steve Parks, assistant director of Lincoln County Emergency Management Agency (EMA).

Firefighters were called to the fire at 8:17 p.m., and remained on the scene until 2 a.m., Parks said.

Boonshill, Blanche, Dellrose, Molino, Central Station and Petersburg Volunteer Fire/Rescue units responded to the burning home.

 Despite the firefighters’ efforts, nearly 70 percent of the second floor was destroyed. The 20-year-old house was just remodeled, Parks said.

The owners of the property, Edna and Artis Sidney, did have homeowner’s insurance.

Recommended for you