A single story rental home burned to the ground last Wednesday morning.

When Lincoln County Fire/Rescue units arrived at 287 Lane Branch Road near Chestnut Ridge, the older wood house was nearly gone, said authorities, adding that the structure had collapsed at its center.  

The Central Station and Boonshill and Petersburg firefighters were dispatched to the scene about 9:50 a.m.

According to Lincoln County Fire Doug Campbell, the renters, Roberta Benson and her father, believed the fire started around a wood heater.

“They lost everything,” said Campbell, noting that they did not have rental insurance. The owner of the 1,200-square-foot house, Travis Goff, also did not have insurance on the house.

Campbell said the Red Cross is assisting the family.

Recommended for you