Adams Street Fire

Two children -- ages 6 and 8 -- wakened their family this morning, saving them as a fire engulfed their home, said Fayetteville Fire Chief Jim Baldwin.

The fire occurred on Adams Street, where a family of seven, including three children, were living. They all escaped unharmed by the fire, which quickly engulfed their home.

Dispatchers received the call at approximately 6 a.m. to 612 Adams Street a few blocks east of Mulberry Avenue in Fayetteville, and firefighters with the Fayetteville Fire Department responded. Baldwin soon called for mutual aid from Lincoln County Volunteer Fire and Rescue, as firemen from across the city and county responded.

Sgt. Mark Browning of the Fayetteville Police Department said that when he arrived on the scene, the family was outside the residence. Members of the family reported that they believed the fire started with a space heater in one of the children’s bedrooms.

It did not take long for the large two-story structure to become engulfed. The home was destroyed.

Red Cross was contacted to assist the family.