In 1913, 100 year after the first Tennessee Volunteers gathered at Camp Blount, the Daughters of the American Revolution placed a marker at the site, which remains there to this day. A rounded bit of stone surrounded by flags on the south end of the property, the marker commemorates the volunteerism and sense of stewardship that was displayed by the citizens who gathered of their own accord at the location.
For those unfamiliar, in late September 1813 the call for troops to participate in the so-called Creek War (often referred to as a sub-conflict of the War of 1812) prompted the enlistment of over 3,500 Tennessee volunteers. Under the leadership of Andrew Jackson, then major general of the Tennessee militia, most of the soldiers from the Western Division (now the region of Middle Tennessee) were ordered to gather at Fayetteville, then a fledgling community six miles from the border of Tennessee and present-day Alabama. The plan was to march the men southward into the Creek Nation to initiate a military campaign against the warring faction of the Creek Indians. Jackson arrived in Fayetteville on 7 October 1813 to take command of the army encamped on the gently sloping fields and oak groves south of town. The camp was named in honor of then-Governor Willie Blount (1809-15). While it is difficult to ascertain the exact number of troops that passed through Camp Blount during the war, it is probable that several thousand soldiers, at different times, gathered at this point.
Despite the general lack of attention the site has received from historians, the Daughters of the American Revolution have not ignored the significance of this now-40 acres of land, and the original stone that they placed there can still be found, unaltered, beside the newly constructed monument to “The First Volunteer.