The Fayetteville Cumberland Presbyterian Church will celebrate 50 years at the church building at 1015 Lewisburg Highway at a Homecoming Celebration on Sunday, Oct. 27.
The public is invited to join the congregation in this day of “Homecoming” celebration. The day’s activities include Sunday School at 9:15 a.m., followed by a special service at 10:30 a.m. A catered meal for all who attend is planned. At 1 p.m. there will be a special program of music led by the church’s hand bell choir, followed by speakers to include past ministers of the church.
During the afternoon of Oct. 27, the church will be open for tours of the facility. The move to the “new” building from the church’s previous location on South Elk Avenue was celebrated with church services on Sunday morning, Dec. 7, 1969.
The pastor of the Fayetteville Cumberland Presbyterian Church is the Rev. Tim Smith who has been faithfully serving the needs of the church since 2004. He will host and direct the Homecoming Celebration activities of the day.
With Rev. Tim Smith, a special Homecoming Committee at Fayetteville Cumberland Presbyterian Church is planning the events for Sunday, Oct. 27 with emphasis on having a time to honor and remember members of the congregation who made the building at 1015 Lewisburg Highway possible.
Past ministers of the church at this location over these 50 years have been invited and plan to attend. Many of these ministers also made their mark in the community of Fayetteville and are dearly loved and remembered fondly by the community at large. Those ministers who are able to attend are the Rev. A. Daniel Freeman, the Rev. Don Thomas, the Rev. Bruce M. Potter, the Rev. Richard Hughes, and the Rev. Wendell Trotter.
A brief history of Fayetteville Cumberland Presbyterian Church:
• The Fayetteville Cumberland Presbyterian Church was organized 190 years ago in 1829, following a revival meeting organized by Rev. Robert Donnell who was one of the three founders of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church denomination. This revival meeting lasted 40 days and saw over a thousand people being converted.
• The newly organized Fayetteville Cumberland Presbyterian Church bought property near the mouth of Norris Creek where they built their first church building which stood until a cyclone destroyed it in 1851.
• The second building was built on South Elk Avenue, being constructed in 1852. This building served as a hospital during the Civil War years and was much abused.
• In 1895 a third building was constructed on the South Elk Avenue site. This building was in continuous use until 1969. It has since been torn down, and the site is the parking lot used by the Patrick Medical Clinic.
• Planning began in 1964 for a new building because of church growth, condition of the existing South Elk Avenue building, and other factors.
• Aug. 4, 1964, the deed to the “Goodrich Property” on Lewisburg Highway was finalized. The property consisted of 26.72 acres and was purchased for $24,481.50.
• Under the leadership of the pastor, Dr. Wayne Wiman, a new facility was planned and constructed for the Lewisburg Highway site.
• The last worship service in the old church building on South Elk Avenue was held on Sunday, Nov. 30, 1969.
• The first service at the new church building was held on Sunday, Dec. 7, 1969.
• The formal dedication ceremony for the new church building on Lewisburg Highway was on Sunday, Dec. 21, 1969. Dr. Ray Dobbins brought the morning’s message. That afternoon a special dedication service followed by an open house and reception were held.
• In 1997 under the leadership of Rev. Richard W. Hughes, an education wing with an elevator was completed for the Fayetteville Cumberland Presbyterian Church.
• The Fayetteville Cumberland Presbyterian Church denomination has been in Fayetteville for 190 years, and looks forward to celebrating its Bicentennial in 2029.