Autumn has finally brought a nip to the air, which means some homeowners are turning on their heat. But before you turn up the thermostat it’s important to make sure all heating devices are free of flammable obstructions that might ignite a fire.
Every fall there comes a story or two of a local family left homeless by fire started by an auxiliary heater located too close to a flammable object. Taking a few simple precautions — such as keeping these devices away from curtains and drapes — can spare your family from a tragedy.
Tennessee routinely ranks among the top five states in the nation when it comes to the number of residents killed in house fires. Many of those lives might have been saved by a fully functioning smoke detector.
October, National Fire Prevention Month, is a good time to remind our readers that the best investment they will ever make in home safety is to have a properly functioning smoke detector installed in every bedroom of their residence.
New technology — such as dual sensor smoke alarms that warn of both flame and smoke — has made these essential devices even more effective. Dual sensor alarms use both ionization and photoelectric technologies. An ionization smoke alarm warns of flaming fires, such as a cooking fire.
The photoelectric alarm is more responsive to a smoldering fire, such as that from overheated wiring.
Firefighters say having a properly functioning smoke detector in the home more than doubles a person’s chances of surviving a house fire. And a smoke detector that has had its battery drained or removed is of no use in alerting a family to a fire.
–The Johnson City Press