Elk Valley Times

Follow Us On:

Todd McAdams, D.D.S.

The importance of getting my teeth cleaned

Todd McAdams 300x250 Insider-Web AdIt’s vital for having healthy teeth and gums to visit a dentist for regular professional cleanings. It is the single most beneficial thing you can do for your teeth.

Think about your daily routine when it comes to brushing your teeth … Sure, you may do it two or three times a day, but do you do it properly? Most patients only brush their teeth and use dental floss sporadically to get food out from between their teeth.

The fact is, however, brushing by itself only removes about 65% of the plaque and bacteria that is on your teeth. Getting a professional dental cleaning every three to six months, depending on your gum condition, helps to remove the remaining 35% of plaque and bacteria that is on your teeth and that, if it is not removed, eventually hardens into tarter. It is the tarter that can cause cavities and lead to other problems in your mouth, including gum disease.

Maintaining good oral hygiene and having your teeth cleaned professional are the most effective ways of preventing periodontal disease.

Dental hygienists remove plaque, tartar and stains from your teeth — it’s all part of the cleaning process, and it’s easy and helps you to feel good about your smile again. But the biggest plus is that having your teeth cleaned regularly goes a long way toward preventing or delaying the progression of periodontal disease. Your hygienist will also polish your teeth, giving them a beautiful shine and a whiter and brighter smile.

As to how often your should have your teeth cleaned professionally depends on the health of your teeth and gums. For example, healthy children and adults should have their teeth cleaned at least once every six months. If you’re a smoker or have inflamed gums, bleeding gums, gum disease, extensive restorative work or have invested in veneers, you should visit your hygienist three to four times each year for proper maintenance in order to retain ideal oral health.

Todd McAdams, D.D.S.
420 Rocky Knob Lane, Fayetteville
(931) 433-5794