Historic Fayetteville in Lincoln County was likely the second county seat in the United States to be laid out by legal mandate with a courthouse square in its center. In 1810 a pin was driven in the northeast corner of the square, which is now marked by a stone plinth.
Some of the oldest structures remain on the Southeast and Northwest corners, the Southwest corner and the North sides of the square. A bandstand has been in existence on the square since the 1890’s.
Downtown offers tourists and visitors an interesting selection of antique stores and shops to browse through and a nice variety of restaurants.
On the peripheral of downtown are homes that date back to the mid-1850s.