Editor’s note: The following article first appeared in The Elk Valley Times’ Millennium Edition on Jan. 1, 2000. To read the rest of the story from our archives, just click here
Rounding out Goodspeed’s History of Lincoln County are short sketches of the various communities which existed in 1886, and still exist today, in the county.
Included in the survey of county communities are Petersburg, Mulberry, Boonshill, Blanche, Smithland, Camargo, Elora, Flintville, Kelso, Lincoln, Oregon, Dellrose, Molino, Oak Hill, Howell, Stonesborough and Booneville.
Goodspeed’s comments about these places are not as full as those concerning Fayetteville, for the histories of the county and its seat are closely entwined.
George L. Leonard settled in what in what is now known as Petersburg in 1815, erecting there a cotton gin and beginning that region’s first mercantile trade. He sold small household items such as thread, needles, etc. Other merchants, including Porterfield and Akin, Rowlett and Hill, Holman and Loyd, Jones and Yowell, Rives and Hayes and Stone and Reese, moved into the community before 1840. Several social lodges existed at Petersburg.