Inmates extinguish house fire
Four members of the Lincoln County Sheriff’s Department work crew ran into a burning house in Petersburg recently and extinguished a grease fire that most likely would have burned the house down.
Gary Steger, LCSD maintenance supervisor, Friday described what happened on Oct. 24. He and the crew were on their way to lunch when they saw some people gathered in the front yard of the smoke-filled house at 302 Railroad Street. Before he could stop them, the inmates grabbed fire extinguishers and took off toward the house.
Smoke billowed out of the house as the men charged inside the residence.
“It was a grease fire on wood cabinets,” Steger explained, adding that the house was full of smoke, and all they could see was a red flame.
Four volunteer fire departments responded to the fire, including Marshall County, Belfast, Petersburg and Central Station, but the work crew already had the fire out, Steger said.
A report at the Lincoln County EMA office indicated that Julia Porter was the resident at the home.
Members of the work crew who saved the house from burning were William Tommy Locker, Ronnie Metcalf, Chris Keller and Henry Thompson.